I've never claimed to be a writer, but it's nice to have a place to put my thoughts down once in a while.

8.14.2007

Movie Going

This is a post from my Myspace blog. I thought I'd add it to this one.

Disclaimer: I'm not an English major, so please don't critique my writing. I'm just trying to tell a story here.

I went to see Live Free or Die Hard a few weeks ago with my sister and a couple of friends. I'm pretty sure it was a good movie. I missed some of it because of the two nice considerate young men and the lovely family with young children in the row behind us. Of course, you know I'm being sarcastic.

Here's what happened...

The theater was pretty full by the time we got there and the only place that had enough seats for the four of us was way at the top, next to last row. Actually, I think these seats would be pretty good. It's far enough away to make the sound volume at a decent level. And I didn't have to crane my neck to see the screen. However, I was in for a rude awakening. And I mean rude. Okay, everyone talks before the show starts. Fine. Not a problem. And some people comment every now and then during the show. I do sometimes, if the scene calls for it. But these two in the seats behind me and Jenni never stopped talking. One of them took no less than six phone calls. During one conversation he told the other person that he was trying to figure out what was going on in the movie, he didn't understand the plot. My advise: watch the movie instead of talking on the phone! I wanted to ask their names so I could look for them in the credits. I heard more of their dialogue than the movie's. At one point my friend Kim "Shhhh"ed them. All that got us was attitude in the form of gas. That's right. We got farted on.

Then we have the nice family with the young children. Either the theater has started selling large bags of chips or they brought in some contraband. And apparently, no one could open it. It was passed down the row as each family member attempted to get to the goodies. When the bag was finally opened, it was passed back down the row for each person to grab a noisy handful. After the rattling finally died down, Dad thought it was a good idea to add commentary to the movie dialogue in order to make his son laugh. Ahh, the delightful sound of children's laughter as Bruce Willis is shot at, blows things up and threatens the bad guy. Who needed to hear why Bruce was blowing things up? I guess I should have stuck to the middle of the theater where the sound is so loud my hair blows in it's breeze and I leave with my head tilted at an odd angle from trying to see the screen.

Oh, how could I forget about the person about 8 rows down who can't seem to stop texting every 5 minutes. I've got news for you, people. Small bright spot in the middle of the dark is VERY distracting. Kind of like someone shining a flashlight in your eyes.

I can forget about the rattling family and Mr. Spotlight, but add them to God's gift to the world in the form of two teenage boys (or so they seemed to think), and I was about to have a nervous breakdown.

There was nothing I could think of to say to them that would make them understand that they were infringing on the rights of everyone around them. Why? Because they don't care. In fact, I think they were proud of the fact that they were disturbing everyone.

Now it's possible I'm being extra sensitive and I should let it go. And other than venting here, there's not much I can do. But here's the thing -- it costs money to go to the movies.. And I don't have a lot of it. So when I do spend it at the theater, I expect to enjoy myself.

So here is my request to you out there whoever may be reading this... please, please, take into consideration others around you. Wherever you may be, the theater, ballgame, mall, wherever, just put yourself in the other person's shoes. How would you feel if they were being rude to you?

0 comments: