I've never claimed to be a writer, but it's nice to have a place to put my thoughts down once in a while.

4.23.2008

We're having revival at our church this week. It's actually supposed to be a community-wide "crusade". It's being held across the street from our church at the community pavilion.


The evangelist was speaking tonight about Christ's crucifixion. His theme was "what/who actually crucified Jesus?" Indifference was one of the things he mentioned. Is there something that you've come across in your life that you had absolutely no feelings about whatsoever. It was of no consequence to you. You can take it or leave it.

Some Christians are like this. They were there that day He died. They stood at the back or went about their business, not caring what was going on around them.

There are people like that today. As long as it doesn't bother them, they don't care. I see this in our kids. They hear the stories, they hear what Christ did. But it's like it doesn't touch them. They don't get it. They don't realize that someday they are going to die and they'll have to face judgement. Sadly, I know lots of adults this way too.

The choir sung "Beulah Land" tonight. Probably my most favorite hymn besides "Amazing Grace". The lyrics are:
I'm kind of homesick for a country to which I've never been before.
No sad goodbyes, will there be spoken and time won't matter anymore.
Beulah Land, I'm longing for you, and someday on thee I'll stand.
There my home shall be eternal. In Beulah Land, Sweet Beulah land.
I'm looking now across that river, to where my faith will end in sight.
There's just a few more days of labor, then I will take my heavenly flight.
Beulah Land, I'm longing for you, and someday on thee I'll stand.
There my home shall be eternal. In Beulah Land, Sweet Beulah land.
In Beulah Land, Sweet Beulah Land.

It's amazing to me to think of a place and time where the work is finished. There'll be no more pain or sorrow, hate or disappoinment. We'll be able to rest in Jesus. As they were singing this song, I glanced at a couple of the kids. They have no idea what Beulah Land is. They have no concept of that place, what it means, what it represents. I'd like to say it's because they are young and innocent. They have no worries. But that's not entirely true. My heart hurts for kids. Drugs, alchohol, broken homes, abusive parents, peer pressure, unwed mothers, ridicule..... the list goes on. It scares me to death to think of the things a child has to go through. How can I help them see there is something to look forward to. Especially when we live in a get-it-right-now world. Lord, I pray for these kids. Break my heart for them. Help me love them as you do. Use me to show them your truth.


This was totally not what I wanted to write about. I had a thought during the sermon. Something the preacher said that got me to thinking. And I can't remember what it was. It was good too. I'll have to ponder this and come back.

0 comments: