I've never claimed to be a writer, but it's nice to have a place to put my thoughts down once in a while.

3.20.2010

Sleep deprived

Had a pretty good day at work Friday. I got caught up on a few things. I still have a few things I could do and it would be nice to be able to work ahead. Maybe I'll get there one day.

After work, I had to run some errands before heading home. Since it was already 7:30 when I got off, I had to go to several places and it's an hour's drive home, I didn't get home until after 10… p.m. Then I helped Jenni finish decorating a birthday cake for Saturday. I should say "cakes" since there were three. Our cousin's daughter turned 3 and was having a Disney Princess party. So we made her Disney Princess birthday cakes. Three doll cakes baked and decorated in two days. We stayed up until about 5 a.m. Saturday doing the decorating. Took about a 3 hour nap, got up and got ready to deliver the cake. We put everything together there. It would have been tough transporting it. Here's a pic of the entire setup.


And the individual cakes:

Cinderella with pumpkins and Gus-Gus and Princess Aurora (Sleeping Beauty) and finally, Snow white.

Cinderella's bodice and sleeves are buttercream icing. Her headband and necklace are fondant. The pumpkins and Gus-Gus are fondant. I used colored chalk to decorate Gus-Gus. His eyes, eyebrows, tail, and whiskers are buttercream icing. Here's a close up of him.


Sleeping Beauty's bodice and sleeves are all fondant. Her crown and necklace are fondant as well. Snow White's bodice is fondant and sleeves are buttercream icing.

All the flowers and grass are royal icing as is the writing on the banner. The banner itself is fondant. The birds I got at Michael's in the floral aisle. I got the animals at Michael's too.

Jenni did the baking and most of the decorating. I made Gus-Gus, Sleeping Beauty's crown and necklace and the pumpkins. Jenni did add the leaves and vines to the pumpkins with royal icing.

After we left the party, Jenni had to start dad's birthday dinner. She made Beef braised in Guinness and mashed potatoes. A traditional Irish meal she's made each year for his birthday for as long as I can remember. She also made him some macaroons and for his birthday desert a blackberry cobbler cheesecake. All very excellent.

By the time we got back from the party, my head was killing me from lack of sleep. So I took some pills and slept most of the day. Which is probably why I'm up right now at midnight.

I think I'll go try to get some sleep now. It's worth a shot.

If you're interested in seeing pictures of the cheesecake and pictures of the many different cakes Jenni has done over the past couple of months, you can find them on our Facebook page.

Night!

0 comments: